Wednesday 26 December 2007

Taunggote's Ko Min Aung Given Family Visit Permission

December 24, 2007
Original Source : DVB's Naw Say Paw

For the first time, since his arrest in September, Ko Min Aung, joint secretary of National League for Democracy Party, Taunggote, will be given permission for a family visit, it is reported.

Ko Min Aung, 35, arrested in early October, then sentenced to 9 1/2 years in prison. However, after the release of the fellow prisoners, who were also arrested with him, Ko Min Aung's sentence has been reduced to 2 1/2 years. During his first 2 months of the detention in Thandwe prison, he was not allowed any family visit, according to his mother.

'They said I can see him fortnightly on Sundays so I am hoping to visit on next Sunday. I am getting very excited as I will soon have a chance to see him. They kindly told me that Sundays are the best because you may then have longer time, about 30 mins or a bit longer. During the week, it is busy so you have shorter time. As soon as I heard the news I just can't wait to see my son. Being a monther, I am just dying to see my son's face, and then I shall be content.

Ko Min Aung and his mum are the lucky ones as he is the first political prisoner from outside Rangoon, who was given the permission for a family visit. So far, only the 8888 generation students in Insein prison have been allowed to see the families.

U Hlaing Aye, member of parliament , Pakoku Townwhip, who is in Myinchan prison,
Daw Win Mya Mya and other NLD members in O Bo prison, Mandalay,
U Myint Oo in Magwe prison and hundreds of other political prisoners who are all detained in prisons across the country are no so lucky. Until now, no family members have seen their love ones, since the arrest, nearly 3 months ago.

For full report, please click here.

No comments:

 
/* EOT ----------------------------------------- */